Here are some tips for reducing food waste when dining out at restaurants or cafes:
- Only order what you can realistically eat. Be mindful of portion sizes and consider sharing an entree or taking home leftovers.
- Check the menu in advance and research the restaurant’s policies on food waste. Some restaurants may have a composting or food donation program, or they may be willing to provide smaller portions upon request.
- Ask for a to-go container when you order, so that you can take home any leftovers.
- Consider ordering “half portions” or appetizers instead of full-sized entrees, which can help reduce waste and save money.
- Be mindful of food allergies or dietary restrictions to ensure that you don’t end up leaving food on your plate.
- Bring your own reusable containers or bags to take home any leftovers or to-go orders, to reduce packaging waste.
- Support restaurants that prioritize sustainability and reducing food waste, and share information about those restaurants with your friends and family.
By being mindful of what you order and taking steps to reduce food waste when dining out, you can help reduce the environmental impact of the restaurant industry and promote sustainable practices.